Saturday 23 April 2016

Jem and the Holograms: The Art of Being Tuturu

Long title.. but serious point.

Last night I watched 'Jem and the Holograms'. It was amazing. I was brought to tears. It was everything I ever could have dreamed in a remake of one of my favourite cartoons and yet there was just something even more special about it.

I managed to hold it together until the hologram of Jem/Jerrica's dad.

He talked about needing to be true to ourselves. Recognising our true identity and being true to our nature. Believing in the possibilities and being proud of our natural abilities. Never ever cowtowing to someone else or trying to be something that we aren't.

At this point in time... those words hit hard.

I've mentioned before about the rollercoaster that was 2015. I had thought that this year was going to be better. And it is. It's just that I'm impatient and I want to be where we just aren't yet.

I have to remember that good things take time. That life has a way of sorting things out when we're ready to take them. That every day comes with it's own set of joys to embrace and issues to overcome. That every second should be welcomed like a final kiss.

It's these things that I forgot.

To actually make the most of every day.

To be who I am - despite pressure to be something I'm just not.

To stand up for what is right - rather than allowing things to take over and letting them happen to me rather than as a result of my direct influence.

To be true to myself and be true to what I believe.

To always and forever be focussed on what is right for our students. These students and future ones too.

To never let anyone dull my shine.

I say these things to my students - it feels like everyday. Yet barely do I allow my words of help and advice to break into my own psyche. Because I guess I feel like I have to be mature or something. That being mature somehow means that you conform rather than be yourself.

So thanks again Jem. I found that niggling sense of self-doubt and extinguished it last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment