Wednesday 24 September 2014

Reflective Teacher - Days 13-24

This is going to be a LONG post...

September 13- Name the top tech tools that you use on a consistent basis in the classroom and rank them in order of their effectiveness, in your opinion.
  1. Photos - of student work, whiteboard writing, 
  2. Google Drive
  3. Kamar
  4. Gmail
  5. Google
  6. Twitter - because I use it sometimes when students ask questions
  7. Class Dojo


September 14- What is feedback for learning and how well do you give it as an educator?
Feedback for learning is often verbal feedback for me unless I am giving feedback on a full set of essays or pieces of writing. During speeches we give positive feedback and positive criticism 
 for feedforward as a class. My belief is that you can't have feedback if you don't also give feedforward.


September 15- Name 5 strengths you have as an educator.
- relational teacher (create strong relationships with your students to enable success)
- ability to laugh and be flexible
- creating lessons that allow for individualised learning and more importantly that are relevant to my learners in my classroom
- innovation in finding new ways and often easier ways to do things
- a growth mindset


September 16- If you had 1 superpower to use in the classroom, what would it be and how would it help?
- to know what is wrong with a student when they walk in so that I know how to deal with their behaviours and attitude to learning straight away. 


September 17- What do you think is the most challenging issue in education today?
Most challenging would be that there are many teachers who are resistant to change in a very quickly changing world. 


September 18- Create an analogy/simile/metaphor that describes your teaching.
Growth Mindset - I am firmly rooted in my culture and traditions. I move and sway with the changing winds and breezes daily. I embrace change and new initiatives as long as they help develop me as an educator and as long as the support for the initiatives are given often - what's life without water? I open my palms to what lay ahead and also open my eyes for the next issues that may come that need dealing with. I reach to the sky in hopes of achieving the best possible learning for myself and as a result the best possible learning for my students.

September 19- Name 3 powerful ways that students can reflect on their learning. Discuss the one you use the most
- Twitter
- Reflections to the teacher
- Student voice for feedback and feedforward for the teacher and their classmates. (This is the one we use most often)


September 20- How do you or your students curate student work?
In their books to begin with - then on Google Drive - hopefully eventually move toward blogging :)
I need to put students work on the wall more often. I have past students' work on the walls but not my current students.

September 21- Do you have other hobbies/interests that you bring into your classroom teaching? 
- Politics
- Human Rights
- Equity in all Things
- Improving and closing the gap between rich and poor
- Being open to a changing world around us
- Rotaract and Interact
- Blogging
- Dog training 


September 22- What does your PLN look like? What does it do for you teaching?
My PLN is AMAZING. If awhi's me and makes me feel like I know what I'm doing. They talk to me daily about life and teaching. They share my troubles and give advice, ideas, innovative thinking and suggest my next steps. Without it I would have had the hugest issues with teaching - because as a new teacher you often feel alone and isolated.


September 23- Write about 1 way that you "meaningfully" involve the community in your classroom. If not, write about 1 way you would like to bring that into your curriculum.
- I would like to have my community be more involved - perhaps by having guest speakers come in, and share their ideas and knowledge. I always have plans to do this but then there is all of the paperwork that goes into sorting that out.... 


September 24- What learning trend captures your attention the most and why?
Digital Citizenship. This is what the world will be about. How to live and breathe appropriately and effectively online. 

No comments:

Post a Comment